Newton Police Department
• Kirk R. Williams, 30, of Newton, was arrested at 7:12 p.m. Feb. 19 at 701 N. Fifth Ave. W. on a Jasper County warrant for a probation violation. Original charges were leaving scene of injury accident, eluding and third-degree criminal mischief. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Shad R. Gall, 19, of Newton, was charged with domestic abuse assault at 8:40 a.m. Feb. 7 when police responded to an assault in progress at a residence on West Fifth Street South. While police were on their way, Gall fled the scene out of the back door. The victim told police Gall choked her. He was arrested on a warrant at 3:38 a.m. Feb. 20 at the Newton Police Department. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Destiny J. Garland, 18, of Newton, was charged with possession of controlled substance-marijuana at 10:56 p.m. Feb. 19 after police found Garland sitting in her vehicle in the parking lot at 1415 E. 19th St. N. The vehicle smelled of marijuana and she showed police a joint in the center console. Police found a green leafy substance in a black backpack located in the backseat of the vehicle. She was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Jan V. Nusbaum, 46, of Newton, was arrested at 10:58 a.m. Feb. 17 at 400 Iowa Speedway Drive on a Poweshiek County warrant for failure to appear to serve a jail sentence. She was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Anthony J. Stevenson, 23, of West Des Moines, was arrested at 7:26 p.m. Feb. 17 in the 800 block of East Fourth Street South on a West Des Moines Police Department warrant for a fourth-degree criminal mischief charge. He was taken to the Jasper County Jail.
• Rose L. Vanrees, 42, of Reasnor, was charged with driving while barred at 4:44 p.m. Feb. 12 after police pulled Van Rees over in the 700 block of East 10th Street South for driving with expired tags. Her license was barred for habitual violator. She was released and issued a citation to appear in court.
• Jeffrey D. Dodd, 47, of Newton, was charged with operating while under the influence at 12:46 p.m. Feb. 13 when police were called for a man sleeping in his vehicle at a stop sign. Dodd was found at 400 E. 19th St. S. slumped over and with the doors locked. When police made contact with Dodd he smelled of alcohol, had slurred speech and bloodshot, watery eyes. He failed sobriety tests and denied a breath test. He was arrested and taken to the Jasper County Jail.