There is a national shortage of commercially-produced PPE including face masks, and public and private officials are working to [Image]address national and global supply challenges. Due to the current limitations on supplies of face masks, there may come a time during this response when commercially manufactured masks are no longer readily available.
Iowans who would like to support healthcare providers can use this guidance document to construct homemade cloth masks that can be worn by Iowa healthcare providers during patient care.
Residents of Jasper County can donate the handmade masks to Jasper County EMA for distribution. To donate please call 641-841-1180 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to schedule a drop off at the Jasper County EMA (1030 W. Second St. S.). Drop offs will be held weekdays between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. by appointment only.
Please construct masks using the following specifications:
• 100 percent cotton fabric, tightly woven, minimum of 160 thread count per square inch
• Ties and tape – 100 percent cotton – white or natural color – minimum ¼ inch thick
• Nose piece – minimum 4 inches long – plastic coated wire twist ties
• Mask size when complete – 7 inches wide by 3.75 inches long
• 3 pleats per mask facing upward (from outside view)
• The mask should have two layers of fabric
There are many different patterns available on the internet, please choose one that meets the specifications above.